Contact US On 08021463312
17 Things To Know About Late Ex-Oyo Governor Alao-Akala
A former Oyo Governor Otunba Christopher Alao-Akala, is dead.
He was 71.
Sources close to the politician confirmed his demise on Tuesday.
Alao-Akala died exactly one month after the demise of the Soun of Ogbomosho.
- Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala was born on June 3, 1950, in Ogbomoso North Local Government Area of Oyo State
- He was a politician and former police officer.
- He was a former Governor of Oyo State and a candidate of the ADP in the 2019 Governorship election in Oyo State.
- Alao-Akala had his elementary school at Osupa Baptist Day School, Ogbomoso
- He proceeded to the Kamina Barracks Middle School, 5th Battalion of Infantry in Tamale, Ghana.
- He Passed Staff College (Psc) in 1990.
- He has Diploma in Business Administration in 1998.
- He became a Doctor of Civil Law (DCL) Honoris Causa, LAUTECH, Ogbomoso in 2006 and Doctor of Science (Political Science) Honoris Causa, Lead City University, Ibadan in 2008.
- Alao-Akala was enlisted as Cadet Inspector of Police in June 1974, at the Nigeria Police College, Ikeja.
- He was recommended for overseas training at the Hendon Police College, in London.
- He also attended the Administrative Staff College, Topo, Badagry; the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), Victoria Island, Lagos; Police Staff College, Jos; Command and Staff College, Jaji. Otunba Alao-Akala has participated as a Nigerian delegate at two INTERPOL conferences in Nice, France and in Málaga, Spain.
- From the position of Station Officer in the Nigeria Police, he became the Administrative Officer, Federal Operations at the Force Headquarters, Lagos. He later rose to the position of Operations Officer, FEDOPS, Lagos. He became the Personal Assistant to the Assistant Inspector-General of Police and subsequently the ADC to the Inspector-General of Police.
- He served as the Deputy Governor of Oyo State from May 2003 to January 2006.
- Following the impeachment of then-incumbent Governor (Rashidi Ladoja), Alao-Akala was sworn into office as Governor in January 2006 and served for 11 months. In December 2006, the impeachment was overturned by the Supreme Court and Rashidi Ladoja was reinstated
- Alao-Akala contested and won the gubernatorial election in 2007 under the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and became the Executive Governor of Oyo state, serving a full term till May 2011.
- In October 2018, he defected to the Action Democratic Party (ADP) where he won the gubernatorial ticket to contest for the office of Governor of Oyo State in the 2019 general elections. After the 23rd February 2019 Presidential and National Assemblies Elections, Akala defected back to the All Progressive Congress, thereby stepping down in the race to become Governor of Oyo State under the platform of the Action Democratic Party.
- He had seven children.