Contact US On 08021463312
JOB ALERT: Latest Recruitment at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
IITA is guided by an ambitious strategy–to lift 11.5 million people out of poverty and revitalize 7.5 million hectares of farm land–by 2020. We are a nonprofit organization founded in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported by several countries.
As one of 15 research centers in the CGIAR, a global partnership for a food secure future, IITA is engaged in several CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs). Our mission is to enhance food security and improve livelihoods in Africa through research for development (R4D).
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for Recruitment at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture.
Head, Genetic Resources Centre
- Full Time
- Required Qualifications: BA/BSC/HND – MBA/MSC/MA – PhD
- Location: Oyo | Nigeria.
- Join this Group to receive Job Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
- Provide essential oversight, leadership and management of genetic resources conservation and research, at the Genetic Resources Centre, Ibadan, in the context of One CGIAR.
- Secure maintenance and preservation of the international collections maintained at IITA and update standard international operational procedures as appropriate.
- Maintain a strong research program on secure conservation methods for clonally propagated crops.
- Develop a strong research program on germplasm characterization, combining agro-morphological and molecular data with the objective of a) evaluating the diversity of the collections and b) developing decision support tools for optimization of germplasm management.
- Develop germplasm evaluation programs in collaboration with respective breeding programs.
- Work closely with the Germplasm Health Unit on germplasm indexing and sanitation.
- Supervise all germplasm exchanges and ensure harmony with the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
- Contribute to capacity building in the conservation and use of plant genetic resources worldwide.
- Lead a programme of work on enhancing germplasm use both directly and through breeding with a focus on climate change and nutrition.
- Establish or strengthen collaboration with national partners and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Communicate research results through peer-reviewed high-impact journals and other media.
- Participate in mobilization of resources to support research activities.
- Collaborate with breeding programs to enhance germplasm use.
- Take part in the development of global conservation strategies.
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- The candidate should possess a Ph.D.in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Conservation Biology or related fields from a highly recognized university.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in genetic resource conservation and use of seed and clonally propagated collections.
- Familiarity with in situconservation.
- Experience in management of Genebank operations with multiple species.
- Publication in high ranking scientific journals on ex situconservation of plant genetic resources, genetic resource diversity assessment or evaluation, or conservation of clonally propagated species.
- Experience with database management and application of genomic tools in germplasm management.
- Ability to create strong and sustainable links with diverse partners.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership,interpersonal, and team building skills.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa and good contacts with NARS scientists in the region is an added advantage.
- Proficiency with written and spoken English; knowledge of French is an asset.
IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate for “Recruitment at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture” should click the APPLY HERE button below.
- The initial appointment is for three years.
- Applications must include a Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to “The Head of Human Resources”.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.