Ogbomoso has a new monarch, 21 months after the stool became vacant following the demise of the late Oba Jimoh Oladunni Oyewunmi.
Governor Seyi Makinde approved the appointment of Prince Afolabi Ghandi Olaoye to be the next Soun of Ogbomosoland.
A statement by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Olusegun Olayiwola on Saturday, said the announcement followed the long-drawn processes specified under the law.
It read: “His Excellency congratulates the new Soun-elect on his ascension to the throne of his forebears.”
Below Are 10 things to know about the Soun Ogbomoso Elect
1. Prince Afolabi Ghandi Olaoye, the new Soun-elect is the descendant of the ninth Soun Of Ogbomoso, the late Oba Laoye Orumogege of the Baiyewuwon Ruling House, Aremo House, Ode-Aremo, Ogbomoso.
2. Born on August 23rd 1961, he is the Presiding-Pastor of Redeem Christian Church Of God(RCCG), Jesus House, Washington DC., The United States Of America.
3. He graduated in 1982 from the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University in Nigeria (formerly known as University of Ife) with a BA Honors in English and Literary Studies; he also holds a Masters degree (1987) in Industrial and Labor Relations with emphasis on Human Resource Management from Nigeria’s premier University, University of Ibadan.
4. The Soun-elect is the CEO of Peculiar People Management (PPM) and Peculiar Speakers, which are Management and Human Resource Consulting Companies. He is also the Chairman of Great Places to Work Institute, Nigeria, a global research and management consultancy company that recognizes the best workplaces in over 56 countries worldwide and provides premier business and advisory services. In addition, he is the chairman of both Quest Oil & Gas and Quest Engineering Company.
5. Ghandi serves on the Board of Trustees of Strategy for Mentoring Initiative & Leadership Empowerment (S.M.I.L.E), a young entrepreneurship for development and a non-profit organization. He also serves on the board of A Smile on Their Faces Initiative (a non-profit initiative focus group for people living with disabilities).
6. He is also an Associate of the International Third World Leaders Association (ITWLA) chaired by the late Dr Myles Munroe, a forum created for the exchange of cross-cultural ideas globally. He represents Myles Munroe international in Nigeria.
7. In January 2009, he was invited to serve as an Advisor and Council Member on the Council for New Americans by the Maryland State Governor of the United States of America, Governor Martin OMalley. While he served a four-year tenure on the council, he assisted the Governor to form policies on immigrant integration into the state of Maryland.
8. The man of God served as the Chairman over a real estate development project in Floyd, Texas USA, where he oversaw the development of over 700 acres of a campus which comprised of a college, housing estate, and a 20,000 Seater Auditorium.
9. Pastor Olaoye is an influential community leader recognized both in Nigeria by former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2001 and in the United States of America by President Barack Obama in 2011. He is the recipient of various awards which include the Youth Empowerment and Positive Mentoring of Africans in the Diaspora Award which was conferred by the African Business Roundtable in December 2008.He has been featured in many newspapers and electronic media.
10. He enjoys traveling and has been to over 65 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, North and South America, the Pacific Islands and Africa. His other interests include: swimming and playing scrabble. He is married with two children.